Use the natural resources in your yard to reduce waste through practices like composting.
Take these actions and be awarded “Inches” towards your Tennessee Smart Yard:
- Leave grass clippings on lawn. Value: 2 inches
- Use composted grass clippings, leaves, pruned plant parts, kitchen scraps to improve soils. Value: 2 inches
- Locate plants to increase home energy efficiency. (e.g., deciduous trees on southwest of house to provide shade) Value: 2 inches
- Use landscape waste (tree trimmings, fallen leaves, pine needs, etc.) on site. Value: 2 inches
- Incorporate salvaged materials into landscaping. (e.g., newspaper in garden to suppress weed growth, repurposed wood for trellis) Value: 2 inches