Selecting plants that will work with your site conditions and towards your goals.
Take these actions and be awarded “Inches” towards your Tennessee Smart Yard:
- Determine your family’s landscape objectives (e.g. entertainment areas, play areas) and level of maintenance desired (e.g. extent of mowing). Value: 2 inches
- Assess yard site conditions (e.g. light availability, soil characteristics, topography, drainage patterns) and incorporate into sketch. Value: 2 inches
- Sketch your yard including long-term goals (e.g. space use, aesthetics, level of maintenance). Value: 2 inches
- Group plants according to site conditions and maintenance needs. Value: 2 inches
- Remove or avoid using invasive/exotic plants and incorporate native plants. Value: 2 inches
- Preserve existing vegetation, especially trees, during land disturbance activities. Value: 2 inches
“Leveraging Your Landscape” guide for homeowners and landscape professionals to help set goals and assess environmental conditions towards sustainable, functional landscapes.
Landscaping with Native Plants from the Tennessee Invasive Plant Council.